Sunday, March 10, 2013

Allergic to EVERYTHING

I recently started allergy testing.  I'm only halfway through foods, but suddenly wheat, tree nuts, tea, celery, squash and tomatoes are all off limits.  Tomatoes and wheat.  What kind of Italian am I????  On the borderline list is dairy, beef, corn, pears, beans (incl peanuts) and chocolate.  CHOCOLATE.  If coffee was on that list all my vices would be forbidden and I would have gone into far worse of a tail spin than I already had.  How does an amateur foodie who loves to cook live without all these foods?  Worse - how does someone with my work hours find enough time to prep foods that won't make me itch and sniffle and possibly someday have a deadly reaction to?  The hardest part so far has been keeping my energy up while hiking - all of my traditional hiking snacks are suddenly off limits.

I have a long way to go before the list of allergies stops growing and I get a good handle on what to eat.  But I'm finally up for the challenge, and I'm going to have to get creative with my cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment